Friday, December 11, 2009

Please, tell me I am not the only one.

Yesterday I babysat Nickolas and Alyssa for Tiffany. We started out at her house, then I brought them to my house. As soon as we got home, Alyssa started crying because it was time for her to eat. So I made her a bottle. Nickolas followed me into the kitchen and wanted candy. Since Alyssa was screaming her head off, I told him we have to feed Alyssa first because she is crying. He whined a little bit and followed me to the couch where I started feeding her. I had to tell him again that I will get him some candy as soon as I am done feeding Alyssa. Still not satisfied with my answer, he began to whine more. Then he grabbed Alyssa's bottle out of her mouth as if to say, She is done now, get me some candy. I sternly said, "No, No, Nickolas. Do not take Alyssa's bottle away from her." I followed that up with the "mean face". He proceeded to take Alyssa's bottle away from her a few more times. I said, "Nickolas if you take Alyssa's bottle one more time, you will get a spanking!" He hesitated and slowly reached his little hand out and took her bottle again. Soooooo I had to do it...I spanked him. He immediately made the biggest sad face and his eyes watered up. He just stared at me with that face. No more than two seconds later I started crying!!! Oh my goodness, that was the most pitiful face I have ever seen, and it was because of me!! I tried to give him a hug instantly and he resisted..so I cried more. Let me remind you, Nickolas never cried..he only made the sad face and his eyes were watery. I could not stop crying. So I got up instantly and went to get his candy! I put a few pieces on the couch where he could reach them. When he was done he started whining again. Still crying, I told him I was almost done feeding Alyssa and we can get more when I am done. He reached his hand out and touched her bottle. I said, "Eh Eh Eh." (which he responds to) He immediately took his hand off and made the same face again! Instant frown and watery eyes. I cried even harder and on our way back to the kitchen for more candy, mom came in. I was crying so hard I couldn't even speak. All I could get out was, "Nickolas..sniff sniff...made me...sniff sniff..cry." She was scared and said, "Where is he? Is he OK? Is he hurt?" All I could do was shake my head no and point to him at my feet. She said, then what is wrong??? Through my tears and gasps for air I responded, "I had to spank him." My mother bursts out laughing so hard that she could barely breath. I was devastated and she was laughing!!! Then I started laughing and crying at the same time. Nickolas was so confused. Needless to say, he did end up getting more candy. And it will take a long time before I threaten "if you do that again you will get a spanking" for fear I will actually have to spank him again. I asked mom how parents can spank their children and she said you get use to it. Whew, that was a rough experience! All I was trying to do was teach him patience and to not interrupt Alyssa's feeding. I know there will be other times when he might get a spanking, I just hope I don't have to do it!

No comments: