Friday, June 13, 2008

Nick's first night away from home.

Yes, you read that correctly. Nickolas spent the night with me!!! How exciting. So I will tell you the story. Most of you will read this and say, "Been there, done that". However, this was my first attempt at keeping a newborn overnight. I have had plenty of experience with keeping babies overnight..but not one so new!! Here it goes: I asked Tiffany and Wes if he could spend the night, expecting to be turned down. But to my surprise, they said yes! (They must have been really sleepy) So I got off work at 10 last night. I went to pick Nick up and was home by 11:30 or so. I brought him in and left him in his car seat and unloaded my truck and situated everything. I straightened up my apartment and ate a quick bite. After everything ,I got him out to change his diaper and put him in some pajamas. So far so good. I have a little mini crib here, so after he's all calmed down I lay him down. Around 1am I decide to lay down myself. Well, this is when Nickolas decided he was ready to eat. Still, no big deal. I can handle a feeding......then I will try to sleep. He ate 3 oz, did not burp, but fell asleep. I layed him down..and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I heard whining and grunts. Still no cry..so I stayed still. The grunting and whining and sometimes a full cry went on for 2 complete hours. At 3am, still no sleep, I try to feed him a couple more ounces. He ate 1. I changed his diaper, soothed him and tried to lay down for some sleep. After what seemed like 30 sec, I was awakened by a very loud cry at 4am. (one hour of sleep so far) I fed him another ounce of milk. Then I tried to lay him in his car seat thinking the position will help his tummy..if thats what was wrong. At 5am Nickolas was still fussy..and I had only had one hour of sleep so far. I tried asking him what was wrong..I only got grunts and whines. He was no help. Then I remembered a bear that mom had got him. It had the sounds of a hearbeat. So I turned this on and this seemed to calm him down. Yay! Finally, I can lay down. 30 min later, he woke up again. I took him out of the car seat, turned the bear off, then we go to the living room for late night T.V....or early morning T.V. I forget what day it is. I see the sun peaking through the windows. Is it morning already? Ok, I have to sleep. Nickolas seems to be happy in my arms. Although I was told not too, I take Nickolas to bed with me. I keep him in the same position and with the help of a few pillows we both relax enough to fall asleep around 7am. I slept so lightly that for an hour and a half I never moved..leaving the passy on the pillow next to me in the exact same position. Score!! Tiffany called around 8:30ish. Nick was getting fussy at this point. So I decide to wake up for the day. I fed Nickolas and gave him a bath, which he loved. When Tiffany arrived, Nickolas was sound to sleep in my arms. Imagine that.


**Tiffany said she slept so good. She didn't wake up all night!! So the above story is worth it. I would do it all over again, and hope to soon.**
Oh and P.S. I have no pictures from this expereience. I was a little sleep deprived, so I probably wouldn't have been able to work my camera, even if I had thought about it. Goodnight!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

funny story. one we can all relate to